(Translation made with Bing)
The information governance relies on two terms with a very broad coverage, which combined and define a very good perimeter. It is actually all roles and operations that allow, as part of an organization and a strategy defined, to have better control of physical documents, data, digital documents, multimedia data, …. The information governance is first and foremost a concentration of information, everything which can enable the control.
Information is a complex object with content, has its own context (which is often much more it has content, shape, weight, has rights,…) ( See complement the definition of information ). It is also an object which, by its lifecycle have value, cost, criticality, more or less high availability. Based on the level of maturity of an organization, it can also have levels of services.
This information being modeled is the first matter for information governance who have to support the reference and establish policies, fundamental so that have the best use.
Like all governance it have organization defined by features or roles, based on defined processes, and a set of repositories and fundamental. (A main policy, management information, repositories for requirements policy (conservation, regulatory, security,…)).
Information governance is since 2010 emerging need that is acquiring a strong legitimacy thanks (see also Vive informational revolution ):
- The technical developments that allow to manage independently the data and documents;
- A the evolution of the regulation which requires organizations to better control their flow (traceability, integrity, removal,…);
- A changing market and customers, more demanding to the image of enterprises and for which the sanction is potentially dramatic (reputation, leakage of information on the web,..);
- A the evolution of standards which offer standards to build more coherent architectures, and make it possible administrations centralized information.
This is a business and organizational data governance is an older discipline.
Information governance is a facilitator instance of all projects including handling or processing of information is the most dominant. Example of dematerialization, projects process automation (what feeds the BPM is information), archival heritage, compelling archive, Master Data Management, collaborative sites and social networks, messaging (Email, IM) and even to ERP. This instance, share its existence, is the point of entry to receive up-to-date repositories of fundamental rules of informational trade.. .
Its goal is first in development of the reactivity of the company, then in the cockpit for the correct use of information (aspect control).
It also fuels entities risk, audit and Security and door policy enabling to anticipate conflicts or potential litigation. It can be formalized by a team, a facilitator, a worn by an existing management role. Its form depends on the sector of activity and the importance of the information taken into account.
The only constant is its connection with the Executive because it is a delegation of responsibility of the leader in its organization.
Information governance market, we are moving on top of Hype Cycle, this is still a young market. Association of developments (see above) brought the feasibility to implement this governance. I think this market will strongly expand in the coming years, regardless of the crisis, because this governance is synonym for optimization, control risk and reduce cost. Namely that this market matured by data governance is awakened through the world of content (or ECM, Enterprise Content Management), and mainly by the emergence of Record Management.
In terms of radiation:
- publishers are becoming very active on this topic.EMC has begun a few years, ago RSD indeed his hobbyhorse,IBM is putting much energy currently on this field, so that HP, and new players in the European market as Perceptive Software are deploying actively on this issue.
- Integrators are still shy about this niche remains very upstream and away from their core business, their investment focus on highly complementary projects in governance of information, such as ECM platforms or the Master Data Management (Logica, Steria, Capgemini,..).
- Part Board.
- of traditional pure players of world of content ( Opus Board , parker williborg , Archive 17 , see of cabinets avocado specialized technology of the information as Caprioli and Associates ,…) to develop around the policies archival and including issues of Record Management and of E-Discovery.
- Other pure niche players, moving on a mixed data-content, such as cabinet Ruleis the governance of digital information or cabinet 3org Council specializing on the organization information as well as coaching on an implementation of this governance information.
- -Level studies, Gartner released much on this topic in 2010, and should probably feed reflections in the coming months. Devoteam Consulting conducted an inquiry in 2009 addressing this theme, and IBM a fairly complete study in early 2010
Finally some sources where you can find what ripen and gauge interest in this topic:
- Perspective on information – this blog, Information and governance
- InfGov – The Blog of Claude Super governance information
- GovernHance – Innovation on governance in general but especially IT
- The Information Governance Newspaper – Newspaper Twitter information governance
- InfoBloom – Blog IBM information governance
- Dipity – A TimeLine on the (update) information governance
- Stream information governance – an RSS feed with a selection of articles on this topic
- PearlTree information governance – A Pearltree management and information governance
- Topsy – A synthesis Web around keywords on this topic
Good reading, and don’t hesitate to challenger this comment, twitter, email, subject ….